English version: HÄUSER AWARD 2012 - The best single-family houses for less than 1,500 euros per square metre
We are looking for exemplary solutions that show how, with cost-conscious concepts and creative ideas, it is possible to build not just surprisingly inexpensive homes but highly individual, aesthetically ambitious dwellings of outstanding functional quality – without economising in the wrong places or having to lower your sights in terms of comfort. The prizes will be awarded to single-family houses that satisfy these criteria in ideal fashion and have been built for pure construction costs of less than 1,500 euros per square metre of living space and usable area.
We are holding the HÄUSER AWARD 2012 in collaboration with the InformationsZentrum Beton and the Verband Privater Bauherren e.V. (VPB). Prize money of 15,000 euros is at stake. The results of the competition are scheduled for publication in HÄUSER in March 2012. The best projects will also be presented in a book to be published by Deutsche Verlags-Anstalt, Munich (DVA) at the same time.
Conditions of entry
Architects from all over Europe are eligible to enter the competition.
They must be the originators of the projects submitted. The houses must have been completed after January 1st 2008 and not have been previously published in a general-interest magazine. In addition, the award winners must agree that the winning houses will not be published in any other general-interest magazine prior to the announcement and publication of the competition results (scheduled to appear in HÄUSER 2/2012).
Each participant may submit a maximum of two projects under the condition that the participants and owners/clients agree to the publication of photos and plans in HÄUSER and on the HÄUSER website, as well as in the book to be published by Deutsche Verlags-Anstalt.
The prize money
The total prize money of 15,000 euros will be allocated as follows:
1st prize: 7,000 euros
2nd prize: 5,000 euros
3rd prize: 3,000 euros
The jury may choose to allocate the prize money differently.
The VPB will pay the owner/client of each award-winning house an additional bonus of 1,000 euros. This does not apply if the owner is also the architect of the house.
The works submitted will be judged by an independent jury made up as follows:
Donatella Fioretti, Bruno Fioretti Marquez Architects, Berlin
Thomas Kaczmarek, Chief Executive of the InformationsZentrum Beton
Thomas Penningh, Board Chairman of VPB
Michael Frielinghaus, President of the BDA (Association of German Architects)
Wolfgang Nagel, Editor-in-Chief of HÄUSER
The jury will convene on 10th June 2011.
Please submit the following project documentation and forms:
• Project plans: location plan on a scale of 1:1000 plus ground plans, sections and views on a scale of 1:100, maximum format A3 (as loose sheets, folded; no brochures, boards etc.).
• Photos: at least eight colour prints/colour copies (no slides, no digital picture files) in a format of approx. 18 x 24 centimetres, giving a general impression of the exterior of the house – including its urban context – as well as the interior.
• A completed project sheet (see form download below) with the most important building data, key energy figures, date of completion, an exterior photograph of the house as well as a summary of the design concept in bullet points (in German or English).
Note: The building costs are to be stated in terms of the DIN 276 standard as pure construction costs (costs of the building, cost groups 300 + 400) including VAT and should be stated both as a total amount and in euros per square metre of living space and usable area (both figures in euros). The price of the land, development costs, ancillary building costs and financing costs should not be taken into consideration. The award organisers may ask award winners for a detailed calculation in order to verify the costs actually incurred on a case-by-case basis; this calculation must also be subsequently submitted on request.
• An explanatory text in German or English with a detailed project description (1 page A4 maximum), explaining the special features of the design.
• The completed entry form as well as the signed participant's declaration.
• A self-addressed envelope, for entries from within Germany please also ensure the envelope is adequately stamped.
The closing date for entries is Monday, May 23rd 2011 (date as per postmark).
The jury’s decision is final.
Gruner + Jahr AG & Co KG
Editorial office HÄUSER
(Envelope to be marked "HÄUSER AWARD 2012"
Editorial office HÄUSER
Telephone + 49 (0) 40-37 03-22 58